Hello, everyone! I’ve thought about writing SO many times, but life has been sort of busy lately. I’ve wanted to do some fun top-tens while we’re here, and I suppose this is as good a place to start as any. So, may I introduce the first Top Ten list: the “It’s been a while” Top Ten.
10. Finally made it out to Downtown Belem! Spent Saturday seeing sights including an old cathedral, one of the largest open air markets in South America, and Mangá Das Garças.We bought juice and salgadinhos (salty snacks) from a street vendor. Best. Juice. Ever.
9. We went to the Opera! It was set in France, preformed in Italian with a Portuguese translation. I had no idea what was going on, but David figured it out.
8. We have a pet… sort of. Her name is Heidi and she’s a street cat who lives right outside our apartment building. David has a weak spot for her, so he feeds her.
7. We had Brazil Day in my second grade classroom– it was such fun to share in my students’ culture!
6. David was the main speaker for the jr/sr high Spiritual Emphasis Retreat. We both got to go and were blessed to spend time with some really neat high school students. It was also wonderful to share David’s first preaching experience (outside the classroom) together. He was amazing.
5. Field Day, a two day event, is a big deal here at AVA! David and I got to help out with that, and it was such fun to see families all over campus.
4. I got an opportunity to spend a weekend at the beach with a few of the ladies I’ve become friends with. It was my first time swimming in the ocean, and it was SUPER! I got a nice tan, got to share good conversation, and got to sleep in an air conditioned room.
3. After all of that craziness, we had two days off of school which David and I filled with sweet time together. We relaxed, read books, talked, and had a few culinary adventures.
2. We’re thinking of starting David on Hair Club for Men (or equivalent) and saying that the tropical weather made his hair grow again.